Cooking Time 25 minutes
ALSO GREAT WITH
This simple potato soup is the perfect blank canvas for any number of flavour additions. While seriously delicious on it’s own, for this recipe I have added a little Tex Mex magic to create a loaded style potato soup. I also enjoyed the same soup with Chilli Chow Oil and some spring onions and it was equally delicious.
1. Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven or pot. Add bacon pieces and cook until crispy or to your liking.
2. Remove bacon pieces and drain on paper towel, leaving rendered fat in the pan.
3. Saute onions, carrots, celery, and garlic in the bacon fat until lightly browned and softened (about 5 minutes).
4. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetable mixture and cook for about one minute, stirring constantly.
5. Slowly add the stock and milk, stirring to combine.
6. Add the diced potatoes and stir.
7. Bring to a low boil, then let the mixture simmer until the potatoes are tender and can be pierced with a fork.
8. Using a stick blender, puree the soup to desired consistency. Alternatively, you can puree the soup in a blender in small batches.
9. If you use the blender, return soup to pan over low heat.
10. Serve the soup with the outlined toppings or get creative and add your own flavour bomb.